Kyrgyzstan swears in new President
Bishkek: Kyrgyzstan has inaugurated a new president in the first peaceful transition of power in the former Soviet Central Asian nation.
Almazbek Atambayev was sworn in as head of state in a ceremony on Thursday in the Kyrgyz capital, Bishkek, amid tight security across the country. He claimed 62.5 percent of the vote in October`s presidential election.
Authorities hope Atambayev`s inauguration will usher in an era of stability, which has eluded the country since the April 2010 overthrow of former President Kurmanbek Bakiyev.
Kyrgyzstan`s first two presidents were overthrown in public uprisings. Outgoing President Roza Otunbayeva, who wrested power from Bakiyev, earned international plaudits for agreeing to relinquish power.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APICET 2016 Results: (apicet.net.in) AP ICET Result 2016, AP Integrated Common Entrance Test Results to be declared today on May 27 at 9 AM
- CHSE Odisha Plus Two (Class 12) Exam Results 2016 is likely to be declared today anytime soon - Check orissaresults.nic.in and chseodisha.nic.in
- Trump would approve oil pipeline project blocked by Obama on green concerns
- Deep-water search for EgyptAir black boxes to start soon
- Britain plans to send warship to fight smuggling of people, arms off Libya: Cameron