Lack of US aid to Syrian rebels `shameful`: McCain
Washington: Senator John McCain says the lack of US aid to Syrian rebels is "shameful," and that helping the opposition would be the biggest blow to Iran in 25 years.
The US has refused to arm Syrian rebels in part to avoid a proxy fight with Iran and Russia, which back the Syrian government.
The crisis in Syria is likely to come up when President Barack Obama meets with Russian President Vladimir Putin in Mexico tomorrow.
McCain, Obama`s Republican rival in the 2008 elections, tells NBC`s "Meet the Press" today that members of the Syrian opposition are being "killed and massacred and tortured and raped" and "the fact that Americans aren`t helping them is shameful."
Syrian activists say the rebel-held areas in Homs have been under attack for a week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- 2016 US Open: Novak Djokovic, Serena Williams named top seeds for season's final Grand Slam
- Bulandshahr gang-rape accused plead not guilty, demand narco test to prove innocence
- Was Osho murdered by his followers?
- China hopes for early talks with Phillipines on South China Sea
- US military aids Turkey with air cover, intelligence in anti-ISIS operation in Syria