Lack of US aid to Syrian rebels `shameful`: McCain
Washington: Senator John McCain says the lack of US aid to Syrian rebels is "shameful," and that helping the opposition would be the biggest blow to Iran in 25 years.
The US has refused to arm Syrian rebels in part to avoid a proxy fight with Iran and Russia, which back the Syrian government.
The crisis in Syria is likely to come up when President Barack Obama meets with Russian President Vladimir Putin in Mexico tomorrow.
McCain, Obama`s Republican rival in the 2008 elections, tells NBC`s "Meet the Press" today that members of the Syrian opposition are being "killed and massacred and tortured and raped" and "the fact that Americans aren`t helping them is shameful."
Syrian activists say the rebel-held areas in Homs have been under attack for a week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 19 killed in knife rampage at Japan care home; suspect surrenders
- Government auditor suspects companies rigged 1st e-auction of coal blocks in 2015
- FBI probes Democratic email hack, but is Russia to blame?
- Florida shooting: Three taken into custody, more suspects sought
- Dope test scandal: After wrestler Narsingh Yadav, shot putter Inderjeet Singh tests positive for banned substance