Lakshmi Mittal puts palatial London home up for sale
London: The credit crunch seems to be taking its toll on one of the world`s richest Indians Lakshmi N Mittal, who has put up one of his mansions in central London up for sale.
The steel tycoon had bought the property on Palace Green in Kensington for 117 million pounds in 2008, when it was declared the most expensive home in Britain.
However, according to the `Sunday Times`, he may end up making a loss on the neo-Georgian building after it went on the market earlier this month for 110 million pounds.
The 12-bedroom palatial home was bought for Mittal`s son, Aditya, from Israeli-American financier Noam Gottesman.
The entire first floor of the 14,736 square feet property is dedicated to the master bedroom quarters, with a separate wing referred to as "Mrs Mittal`s dressing room".
But Aditya, who is the chief financial officer of the family-owned steel firm ArcelorMittal, and his family reportedly never moved into the new mansion.
While the house does not have a swimming pool, it comes with planning permission for basement work and has a dedicated storage room for art, a flower room, a silver room and tutorial and homework rooms for children.
Lakshmi Mittal himself lives nearby at Kensington Palace Gardens, dubbed as London`s "billionaire`s row" with neighbours including fellow tycoons such as Roman Abramovich and Len Blavatnik, ranked ahead of Mittal in this year`s `Sunday Times Rich List`.
As a result of the credit crunch and a fall in demand for steel from China, Mittal`s fortunes took a hit of an estimated 2.7 billion pounds last year, resulting in him being deposed as the richest man in Britain by Russian industrialist Alisher Usmanov after eight years at the helm of the definitive wealth analysis.
Mittal had paid 57 million pounds for his current home and also owns a 70-million pounds former Philippine embassy in London, intended as a home for his daughter Vanisha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof