Landslide in Peru hamlet kills 11
Lima: An avalanche of mud and rocks slammed into a small hamlet in Peru killing least 11and leaving ten others missing, reports said Thursday.
The village of El Porvenir in San Martin province of Peru, whose residents are mostly coffee farmers, had dozens of homes swept away with the deadly landslide that was triggered by heavy rainfall in the area.
Ronald Garcia, the mayor of the landslide hit province, said that the landslides killed 11 out of which at least five were children. She further added that whole families had gone missing.
Mayor Garcia also said some of the missing villagers may have fled into the hills to escape the fury of landslide.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- Hindu community not allowed to exercise its Right to Information in Pakistan, activists protest