Landslide victory for Lukashenka in Belarus
Moscow: Belarus President
Alexander Lukashenko described as the `last dictator in
Europe` is expected to win a fourth term in elections that
took place Sunday in the former Soviet Republic, exit polls
Lukashenka, who is seeking fourth five-year term
is said to be leading with over 70 per cent votes exit polls
show. His nearest rival Andrei Sannikov is trailing far
behind with only 6.33 per cent votes, ECOOM pollster said
after questioning 4431 voters at 100 polling stations across
the country. There were 10 candidates in the fray.
Popularly known as `Bat`ka` (papa) Lukashenka, 56,
is often described as the `last dictator in Europe` by his
liberal opposition, which so far has failed to unite against
him. He has been in power since 1994 in 9.6 million strong
former Soviet republic.
"I am going into the elections with absolute
confidence. I feel the support of the people. If I didn`t feel
it, I wouldn`t have run as a candidate," Lukashenka was quoted
as saying by RIA Novosti.
The opposition says it already has evidence of
vote-rigging and is calling for new elections without
Lukashenka. More than 23 per cent absentee votes were already
cast by today`s polling, which the opposition sees an evidence
The EU will be watching closely for the OSCE
election monitoring verdict, expected tomorrow, and Brussels`
reaction could be a key factor in Belarus` foreign policy.
The Kremlin, which had launched a smear campaign
against Lukashenka, seems to have mended fences with him
fearing a Georgia-type Rose revolution, in the country acting
as a buffer between Russia and NATO.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price