Landslide victory for Lukashenka in Belarus
Moscow: Belarus President
Alexander Lukashenko described as the `last dictator in
Europe` is expected to win a fourth term in elections that
took place Sunday in the former Soviet Republic, exit polls
Lukashenka, who is seeking fourth five-year term
is said to be leading with over 70 per cent votes exit polls
show. His nearest rival Andrei Sannikov is trailing far
behind with only 6.33 per cent votes, ECOOM pollster said
after questioning 4431 voters at 100 polling stations across
the country. There were 10 candidates in the fray.
Popularly known as `Bat`ka` (papa) Lukashenka, 56,
is often described as the `last dictator in Europe` by his
liberal opposition, which so far has failed to unite against
him. He has been in power since 1994 in 9.6 million strong
former Soviet republic.
"I am going into the elections with absolute
confidence. I feel the support of the people. If I didn`t feel
it, I wouldn`t have run as a candidate," Lukashenka was quoted
as saying by RIA Novosti.
The opposition says it already has evidence of
vote-rigging and is calling for new elections without
Lukashenka. More than 23 per cent absentee votes were already
cast by today`s polling, which the opposition sees an evidence
The EU will be watching closely for the OSCE
election monitoring verdict, expected tomorrow, and Brussels`
reaction could be a key factor in Belarus` foreign policy.
The Kremlin, which had launched a smear campaign
against Lukashenka, seems to have mended fences with him
fearing a Georgia-type Rose revolution, in the country acting
as a buffer between Russia and NATO.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared