Large brushfire forces Cyprus village evacuation
Nicosia: Cypriot authorities have ordered the evacuation of a small, hillside village near the island nation`s southern coast as a large brushfire continues to rage out of control nearby.
Larnaca district officer George Antoniades told state broadcaster CyBC that the evacuation of Skarinou is strictly precautionary as the fire has still not encroached on village homes.
The blaze started on Sunday afternoon and spread quickly because of strong wings, scorching many hectares of trees and wild brush.
Fire Department spokeswoman Lisa Kemidji said eight water-dropping aircraft have suspended flights because of nightfall, but 60 fire-fighters and 25 fire engines remain on the scene.
Interior Minister Eleni Mavrou says three people helping to fight the blaze suffered minor injuries, while one person has been arrested on suspicion of starting the fire.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note