Largest allocation by Finance Commission: Gogoi
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi
on Tuesday said the 13th Finance Commission had provided Rs
57,832.70 crore to the state which is highest till date.
"I am glad to announce that the 13th Finance Commission
had allocated the amount which is nearly double of what was
sanctioned by the 12th Finance Commission," Gogoi told
reporters here rejecting opposition AGP criticism that there
was nothing new in the Union budget for the region.
Congratulating the state finance department, the Chief
Minister said it was because of better economic management
that the state was allocated the large amount.
The state grant to Assam has also being enhanced to Rs
800 crore by the Commission out of which Rs 230 crore has been
kept for border areas development, he said.
Gogoi, who holds the finance portfolio, said his
budget to be presented on March 15 would be pro-poor and there
will be substantial relief for them.
"I can only say that the budget will be pro-poor and
aimed at boosting the rural economy as well as the plight of
students", Gogoi, who holds the finance portfolio, said.
Referring to the ongoing agitation by teachers for
provincialisation of more than 16,000 venture schools, the
chief minister said he had decided to grant them Rs 400 crore
for improving their condition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan