Largest ID theft ring in US history cracked
New York: The New York authorities announced the largest identity theft takedown in US history that turned up more than 13 million US dollars in stolen funds.
The group based in Queens of New York City stole personal information from thousands of victims, created credit and ID cards, and then went shopping at stores like Apple and Louis Vuitton, Xinhua reported.
"These weren`t hold-ups at gunpoint but the impact on victims was the same," New York Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said Friday, adding: "They were robbed."
Police said they arrested 86 people this week and are still looking for 25 more.
It`s believed the ring also has ties to Europe, Asia, Africa and the Middle East. The suspects face counterfeit credit card and identity theft charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral