Largest ID theft ring in US history cracked
New York: The New York authorities announced the largest identity theft takedown in US history that turned up more than 13 million US dollars in stolen funds.
The group based in Queens of New York City stole personal information from thousands of victims, created credit and ID cards, and then went shopping at stores like Apple and Louis Vuitton, Xinhua reported.
"These weren`t hold-ups at gunpoint but the impact on victims was the same," New York Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said Friday, adding: "They were robbed."
Police said they arrested 86 people this week and are still looking for 25 more.
It`s believed the ring also has ties to Europe, Asia, Africa and the Middle East. The suspects face counterfeit credit card and identity theft charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!