Largest ID theft ring in US history cracked
New York: The New York authorities announced the largest identity theft takedown in US history that turned up more than 13 million US dollars in stolen funds.
The group based in Queens of New York City stole personal information from thousands of victims, created credit and ID cards, and then went shopping at stores like Apple and Louis Vuitton, Xinhua reported.
"These weren`t hold-ups at gunpoint but the impact on victims was the same," New York Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said Friday, adding: "They were robbed."
Police said they arrested 86 people this week and are still looking for 25 more.
It`s believed the ring also has ties to Europe, Asia, Africa and the Middle East. The suspects face counterfeit credit card and identity theft charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened