Largest ID theft ring in US history cracked
New York: The New York authorities announced the largest identity theft takedown in US history that turned up more than 13 million US dollars in stolen funds.
The group based in Queens of New York City stole personal information from thousands of victims, created credit and ID cards, and then went shopping at stores like Apple and Louis Vuitton, Xinhua reported.
"These weren`t hold-ups at gunpoint but the impact on victims was the same," New York Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said Friday, adding: "They were robbed."
Police said they arrested 86 people this week and are still looking for 25 more.
It`s believed the ring also has ties to Europe, Asia, Africa and the Middle East. The suspects face counterfeit credit card and identity theft charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- December 16 gang-rape convict attempts suicide – Read Nirbhaya parents' response
- 1st ODI: Azhar Ali's 82 goes in vain as Jason Roy guides England to 44-run win over Pakistan
- Janmashtami: Watch Dahi-Handi celebrations from Mumbai
- Vietnam scientists spot rare endangered primates
- David Warner named Australia captain as Steve Smith heads home to rest ahead of hectic home schedule