Last member of 1942 escape from Auschwitz dies
Warsaw (Poland): A spokesman for Auschwitz museum says the last surviving member of a group of prisoners that escaped the German Nazi concentration camp in 1942 has died.
Spokesman Pawel Sawicki said Monday that August Kowalczyk died yesterday at a hospice he helped found in the town of Oswiecim in southern Poland where the former camp is located. He was 90 years old.
Kowalczyk was brought to Auschwitz in December 1940. In June 1942 he was among 50 Polish inmates who tried to flee the camp while working in the fields. Most were killed in the attempt and only nine escaped. Kowalczyk was the last known survivor.
Kowalczyk became a popular actor and spent his lifetime telling his story to younger generations.
Some 1.5 million people, mostly Jews, were killed at Auschwitz from 1940-45.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!