Last surviving Hitler assassination plotter dies at 90
Berlin: The last surviving member of the network of German officers who tried to assassinate dictator Adolf Hitler in the famous briefcase bomb plot of July 1944, has died at the age of 90.
Ewald-Heinrich von Kleist volunteered to wear a suicide vest to assassinate the Nazi dictator, died at his home in Munich last week.
Von Kleist was approached by Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg in January 1944 and agreed to act as a suicide bomber.
Von Stauffenberg proposed that he wear a bomb vest underneath, which he would detonate standing next to the dictator, `The Times` reported.
The initial plan was not executed and von Kleist was asked to plant the briefcase containing the bomb as part of the July 20 plot, only to be replaced by von Stauffenberg himself.
Instead of playing a key role in the assassination plot at Hitler`s Wolf`s Lair headquarters, known as Operation Valkyrie, von Kleist remained in Berlin with instructions to oversee the arrest of officers and officials loyal to Hitler.
Von Kleist`s family were aristocratic Prussian landowners, who served the country for centuries in high-ranking military and administrative positions, the report said.
His father, Ewald, opposed Hitler even before he came to power and was arrested many times. He even travelled to Britain in 1938 in a vain attempt to seek support for a coup.
Ewald was among those executed following the unsuccessful assassination bid while von Kleist was arrested, questioned at length by the Gestapo and sent to a concentration camp.
Von Kleist was inexplicably released and returned to combat duty. He founded what would become the Munich Security Conference in 1963.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars