Latvia welcomes US troops in Baltic states
Riga: Latvian President Andris Berzins and Prime Minister Laimdota Straujuma Wednesday appreciated the US decision to deploy a troops unit in Latvia as part of military exercises, the media reported.
A contingent of US Army paratroopers arrived in Poland Wednesday and within next few days additional army companies will arrive in Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania where they will stay till the end of this year, as reported.
According to the Pentagon, the US is to deploy 600 troops in Poland and the Baltic states for military training in coming months.
Latvia`s foreign ministry said Tuesday in a statement that the US decision to enhance NATO`s military presence in Poland and the Baltic states demonstrates the US commitment to contribute to security in the Baltic states.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- DNA: Analysis of Russia's nuclear threat to America
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption