Latvia welcomes US troops in Baltic states
Riga: Latvian President Andris Berzins and Prime Minister Laimdota Straujuma Wednesday appreciated the US decision to deploy a troops unit in Latvia as part of military exercises, the media reported.
A contingent of US Army paratroopers arrived in Poland Wednesday and within next few days additional army companies will arrive in Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania where they will stay till the end of this year, as reported.
According to the Pentagon, the US is to deploy 600 troops in Poland and the Baltic states for military training in coming months.
Latvia`s foreign ministry said Tuesday in a statement that the US decision to enhance NATO`s military presence in Poland and the Baltic states demonstrates the US commitment to contribute to security in the Baltic states.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Terrorist captured in J&K's Kupwara district is Pakistani national from Lahore: Report
- No question of tampering with samples of shot putter Inderjeet Singh: NADA boss
- New Israeli settlement plans `provocative and counterproductive`: US
- One billion iPhones have been sold: Apple CEO Tim Cook
- US prosecutors drop all charges in Freddie Gray death