Laura Bush `secretly supported gay marriage, abortion rights`
Washington: In a candid confession of sorts, former US First Lady Laura Bush has admitted secretly supporting gay marriage and abortion rights during her husband president George W Bush`s eight years in office.
Laura, who kept her views confined to herself during her husband`s tenure in White House, has said in an interview that she didn`t agree with her husband on the two most hot and controversial topics in America.
Although the couple disagreed in private, she insisted they were not "argumentative".
"I understand his viewpoint and he understands mine. I think we ought to look at gay marriage and debate it. A lot of people have trouble coming to terms with it, because they see marriage traditionally as (between) a man and a woman.”
"But I also know that, when couples are committed to each other and love each other, they ought to have the same sort of rights that everyone has," Laura told `CNN`.
Asked if the US could accept gay marriage, she told the American news channel: "I think we could... It`s also a generational thing."
And, when she was questioned what she thought of the Supreme Court`s decision that legalised abortion and President Bush`s view that it should be overturned, Laura responded, "I think it`s important that it remains legal as I think it is important for people for medical reasons and other reasons."
Even in her recently published memoir, `Spoken from the Heart`, Laura claimed that she spoke to her husband "about not making gay marriage a significant issue" in 2004 election.
"We have, I reminded him, a number of close friends who are gay or whose children are gay," she wrote.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Awwdorable photo alert! Shahid Kapoor, Mira Rajput and her baby bump
- Is Sonakshi Sinha a part of Salman Khan’s ‘Dabangg 3’? Here’s the answer
- Kareena Kapoor Khan not in ‘Veerey Di Wedding’? Sonam Kapoor will tell you the truth
- Magnitude 6.4 quake hits Italy near Perugia – USGS
- Turning the tide on hair loss