Lavrov to visit Cuba amid tensions with West over Ukraine
Havana: Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov was expected in the Cuban capital Monday for a two-day visit, the foreign ministry said, amid high tensions with the West over Ukraine.
Havana has sided with Russia in the worst East-West crisis since the Cold War, but has yet to address the issue directly.
Lavrov will meet with his local counterpart Bruno Rodriguez tomorrow morning, the Cuban foreign ministry said in a notice to the media. He is also likely to meet with Cuban President Raul Castro.
Moscow and Havana were close allies for 30 years during the Cold War, until the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991. After a rift under former Russian president Boris Yeltsin, the two resumed political and economic ties, as well as military cooperation.
From Havana, Lavrov was expected to head to the Peruvian capital Lima on Wednesday. The Peruvian foreign ministry said the top Russian diplomat would be received by President Ollanta Humala and hold talks with his counterpart Eda Rivas.
The upcoming visit marks Lavrov`s second in less than three years and is expected to focus on military cooperation and on a Peruvian proposal for a free trade agreement, the foreign ministry said.
Moscow and Lima have had strong ties since 1969. Peru announced in December that its armed forces planned to acquire 24 Russian-made helicopters and open up a regional service center for this type of aircraft.
Word of Lavrov`s Latin America tour comes as the United States and the European Union slapped another round of sanctions on Moscow for failing to stop tensions soaring in eastern Ukraine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India