Lavrov to visit Cuba amid tensions with West over Ukraine
Havana: Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov was expected in the Cuban capital Monday for a two-day visit, the foreign ministry said, amid high tensions with the West over Ukraine.
Havana has sided with Russia in the worst East-West crisis since the Cold War, but has yet to address the issue directly.
Lavrov will meet with his local counterpart Bruno Rodriguez tomorrow morning, the Cuban foreign ministry said in a notice to the media. He is also likely to meet with Cuban President Raul Castro.
Moscow and Havana were close allies for 30 years during the Cold War, until the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991. After a rift under former Russian president Boris Yeltsin, the two resumed political and economic ties, as well as military cooperation.
From Havana, Lavrov was expected to head to the Peruvian capital Lima on Wednesday. The Peruvian foreign ministry said the top Russian diplomat would be received by President Ollanta Humala and hold talks with his counterpart Eda Rivas.
The upcoming visit marks Lavrov`s second in less than three years and is expected to focus on military cooperation and on a Peruvian proposal for a free trade agreement, the foreign ministry said.
Moscow and Lima have had strong ties since 1969. Peru announced in December that its armed forces planned to acquire 24 Russian-made helicopters and open up a regional service center for this type of aircraft.
Word of Lavrov`s Latin America tour comes as the United States and the European Union slapped another round of sanctions on Moscow for failing to stop tensions soaring in eastern Ukraine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?