Lawmakers in troubled northeast Nigeria state impeach governor
Lagos: The governor of Nigeria`s northeast Adamawa state, one of three areas under a state of emergency since last year amid Boko Haram violence, was impeached today over corruption charges.
Murtala Nyako denies the allegations, and his party, the All Progressives Congress (APC) vowed to fight the move in court.
Nyako`s political problems began last year when he was among a group of powerful governors that quit President Goodluck Jonathan`s ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to join the opposition APC.
He fiercely criticised Jonathan`s decision to include Adamawa in the states placed under emergency rule in May 2013.
He argued that Adamawa had been relatively lightly touched by Boko Haram violence and claimed the state of emergency was imposed there as an attempt by Jonathan to sideline a rival.
Islamist violence in Adamawa has been less intense than in neighbouring Borno, but the state has seen a series of gruesome attacks blamed on Boko Haram, including a massacre targeting university students.
As Nyako`s dispute with Jonathan escalated, the 25-member Adamawa state assembly, which is dominated by the PDP, launch a corruption probe, including into claims that the governor lavishly spent public funds while hosting senior APC leader Muhammadu Buhari.
"The process that led to that (impeachment) is unfair and will be challenged in court," APC spokesman Lai Mohammed told AFP.
The deputy governor, Bala James Ngillari, next in line to run the state, resigned before the impeachment motion was approved.
State assembly speaker Ahmadu Umaru Fintiri will serve as interim governor pending a snap election which must be held within 90 days.
Nigeria`s state governors have a significant amount of autonomy on areas including education and infrastructure spending, and each by law is entitled to a portion of the revenue from Africa`s biggest oil industry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read