Lawsuit filed in US over Nigerian plane crash
Chicago: A man whose wife died in the crash of a Nigerian airliner that killed 153 people filed a lawsuit in the US that blames the accident, at least in part, on US companies that designed, manufactured and sold the ill-fated plane.
An American attorney on Thursday filed the lawsuit in US District Court in Chicago on behalf of David Chukwunonso Allison, whose wife, Joy Chiedozie Allison, was on the Dana Air MD-83 that went down in the African nation on Sunday afternoon.
Among those named in the 56-page lawsuit are Chicago-based Boeing Co, which bought the McDonnell-Douglas manufacturer of the plane, and Connecticut-based engine-maker Pratt & Whitney.
Gary Robb, a Kansas City, Missouri-based aviation attorney who filed the lawsuit for David Allison, said reports of engine failure as the plane approached Lagos, Nigeria`s largest city, point to the companies` culpability.
Nigeria`s Aviation Minister Stella Oduah said on Wednesday that the flight`s captain radioed Lagos as the aircraft approached and declared an emergency, saying both of the MD-83`s engines had failed. Minutes later, the plane crashed into several buildings.
"That is always incredibly significant information," Robb said. "Engines do not fail unless something goes dramatically wrong."
Without offering details, the suit claims the Pratt & Whitney "engines used a defective and unreasonably dangerous design”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Saraswati Puja on Vasant Panchami - Tithi, Muhurt and Vidhi
- Ranchi shocker: Teacher kills student because he was in love with her daughter
- Rs 7L for Sikh girl, Rs 5L for a Brahmin: `Love jihad` WhatsApp message goes viral in Gujarat