Lawyer of Palestinian hunger striker files appeal
Jerusalem: A Palestinian who has waged a
hunger strike for an unprecedented 63 days has appealed to
Israel`s Supreme Court, demanding to be released from
months-long detention without trial, his lawyer said on Saturday.
Khader Adnan is fighting a provision that allows Israel
to hold detainees for months or even years without trial or
formal charges. Israeli officials say they use so-called
"administrative detention" to guard against immediate threats
to the country`s security.
Adnan, a member of the militant group Islamic Jihad, has
continued his hunger strike longer than any Palestinian
detainee before him. His doctors warned this week that the
33-year-old might die soon.
"We are hoping ... the Supreme Court hears this case
urgently," said Mahmoud Hassan, one of Adnan`s lawyers. "He
could die before the court hearing happens."
The court has not set a date for the hearing. Hassan said
in previous cases, the high court at times reduced the
sentence of administrative detainees on appeal, but that it
rarely ordered them freed outright.
The hunger strike has already turned Adnan into a
Palestinian hero, with thousands protesting in support of the
once obscure bearded baker. Islamic Jihad has vowed revenge if
Adnan dies, possibly by firing rockets into Israel from
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!