Lawyer of Palestinian hunger striker files appeal
Jerusalem: A Palestinian who has waged a
hunger strike for an unprecedented 63 days has appealed to
Israel`s Supreme Court, demanding to be released from
months-long detention without trial, his lawyer said on Saturday.
Khader Adnan is fighting a provision that allows Israel
to hold detainees for months or even years without trial or
formal charges. Israeli officials say they use so-called
"administrative detention" to guard against immediate threats
to the country`s security.
Adnan, a member of the militant group Islamic Jihad, has
continued his hunger strike longer than any Palestinian
detainee before him. His doctors warned this week that the
33-year-old might die soon.
"We are hoping ... the Supreme Court hears this case
urgently," said Mahmoud Hassan, one of Adnan`s lawyers. "He
could die before the court hearing happens."
The court has not set a date for the hearing. Hassan said
in previous cases, the high court at times reduced the
sentence of administrative detainees on appeal, but that it
rarely ordered them freed outright.
The hunger strike has already turned Adnan into a
Palestinian hero, with thousands protesting in support of the
once obscure bearded baker. Islamic Jihad has vowed revenge if
Adnan dies, possibly by firing rockets into Israel from
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble