Leading Pakistani journalist Ayesha Haroon dies
Islamabad: Leading Pakistani journalist Ayesha Haroon has died in New York after a four-year battle with cancer at the age of 46, her family said today.
Haroon`s husband Faisal Bari, her brothers and her mother were by her side when she died yesterday. Her body will be flown to Lahore on Wednesday and she will be buried the next day, her family said.
A former editor of The News daily, Haroon started her career with the Frontier Post. She later joined The Nation and worked in editorial positions in various media organisations in Lahore and Islamabad.
In 2007, she joined The News as its editor in Lahore.
After being diagnosed with cancer, she initially received treatment at Shaukat Khanum Hospital in Lahore before being taken to Mount Sinai Hospital in New York.
After prolonged treatment, she was on her way to recovery when the disease recurred in June last year.
Haroon`s death was mourned by journalists in Islamabad, Lahore and Karachi today.
Her husband Faisal Bari is a professor of economics at the prestigious Lahore University of Management Sciences.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?