Leading Pakistani journalist Ayesha Haroon dies
Islamabad: Leading Pakistani journalist Ayesha Haroon has died in New York after a four-year battle with cancer at the age of 46, her family said today.
Haroon`s husband Faisal Bari, her brothers and her mother were by her side when she died yesterday. Her body will be flown to Lahore on Wednesday and she will be buried the next day, her family said.
A former editor of The News daily, Haroon started her career with the Frontier Post. She later joined The Nation and worked in editorial positions in various media organisations in Lahore and Islamabad.
In 2007, she joined The News as its editor in Lahore.
After being diagnosed with cancer, she initially received treatment at Shaukat Khanum Hospital in Lahore before being taken to Mount Sinai Hospital in New York.
After prolonged treatment, she was on her way to recovery when the disease recurred in June last year.
Haroon`s death was mourned by journalists in Islamabad, Lahore and Karachi today.
Her husband Faisal Bari is a professor of economics at the prestigious Lahore University of Management Sciences.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Global stocks extend losses, sterling near 30-year lows in Brexit aftermath
- Gunbattle breaks out between security forces, militants in J&K's Kupwara
- American Senator wants US to stop issuing visas to Indians
- Kareena Kapoor Khan looks unapologetically sexy on the cover of Vogue India – See pic
- Will women be allowed to enter Haji Ali shrine? Bombay HC verdict today