Leading Pakistani journalist Ayesha Haroon dies
Islamabad: Leading Pakistani journalist Ayesha Haroon has died in New York after a four-year battle with cancer at the age of 46, her family said today.
Haroon`s husband Faisal Bari, her brothers and her mother were by her side when she died yesterday. Her body will be flown to Lahore on Wednesday and she will be buried the next day, her family said.
A former editor of The News daily, Haroon started her career with the Frontier Post. She later joined The Nation and worked in editorial positions in various media organisations in Lahore and Islamabad.
In 2007, she joined The News as its editor in Lahore.
After being diagnosed with cancer, she initially received treatment at Shaukat Khanum Hospital in Lahore before being taken to Mount Sinai Hospital in New York.
After prolonged treatment, she was on her way to recovery when the disease recurred in June last year.
Haroon`s death was mourned by journalists in Islamabad, Lahore and Karachi today.
Her husband Faisal Bari is a professor of economics at the prestigious Lahore University of Management Sciences.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row