`Leaky` A380 door eyed in Singapore Airlines emergency landing
Singapore: A malfunctioning door is the focus of an investigation into why a Singapore Airlines Airbus 380 superjumbo was forced to make an emergency landing in Azerbaijan, the carrier said Wednesday.
Nearly 500 passengers arrived in Singapore Tuesday in a A380 relief jet after their original flight from London to Singapore.
"The root cause of the incident is being investigated and a team of specialists from Airbus will be assisting," an airline spokesman said in a statement.
"We are focusing on a door on the main deck that appears to have suffered a leak, leading to the change in cabin pressure," he said.
"A replacement door will be fitted to the aircraft in Baku before it returns to Singapore for a more thorough inspection."
Passengers had spoken of noise coming from one door as the aircraft came in to land in the central Asian republic.
The A380 is the world`s largest commercial aircraft and Singapore Airlines was its debut customer in 2007.
Sean Lee, the Asia spokesman for Airbus, told AFP Wednesday that the European manufacturer is "participating fully in the investigation to determine the cause of this incident".
"I confirm that we have a team of specialists travelling to Baku. At this time we cannot confirm the root cause of the incident," he said.
There are 119 Airbus A380s in operation globally, according to latest data from the company.
Singapore Airlines currently has a fleet of 19 A380s, with five others on order. It uses the planes for flights from Singapore to various destinations including Frankfurt, Hong Kong, London and Los Angeles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened