Learning law, she got back at her ex-bosses
London: British woman from Bangor in northwest Wales quit her job to take a law degree to fight against her bullying former bosses, eventually winning.
Alex Gibson, 36, claimed she was inspired by Erin Brockovich, who won a law suit against a US corporation, the Daily Mail reported Friday.
Erin Brockovich`s story was later turned into an Oscar-winning Hollywood movie starring Julia Roberts.
Gibson, who is dyslexic, said she was hurt at how her condition was handled by her company.
"I was distraught and decided then that I would defend myself if no one else would. I got my inspiration from the `Erin Brockovich` film. She won against all the odds and I was determined to do the same," the report quoted Gibson as saying.
"I`m just happy I stood up to the bullies and I won - I can finally say no one will ever make me feel worthless again," she said.
According to the report, Gibson could not afford the legal fees to fight the case and enrolled for a law degree in Bangor University so she could at some point take her previous employers to court.
Gibson, who worked as a secretary in a firm, said she was humiliated by her directors in front of her colleagues when she asked for help.
"I`d complained through the usual channels about the bullying but got nowhere. In fact, my line manager said if you can`t deal with your colleagues` perceptions of your disability, then you need counselling. It was so wrong," she said.
"The stress of work gave me anxiety problems. My hair fell out and I couldn`t sleep. I couldn`t keep up with the meetings and instead of supporting me, I was ridiculed in front of all my colleagues."
"I resigned shortly after and started to build a case to represent myself - I wasn`t going to let them get away with it," she added.
Gibson is now awaiting final settlement after winning the compensation claim against her former company at the employment tribunal in Bangor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore