Leaving state department is bittersweet: Hillary Clinton
Washington: Thrilled to be back at the State Department after a month of illness, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton today said it is "bittersweet" leaving her post as the top American diplomat.
"I am thrilled to be back and I am also incredibly grateful for this fabulous team that I have here at the State Department who never missed a beat during the time I was away. We are focused on continuing our work, finishing up everything that we can and helping Senator Kerry with his transition," Clinton said.
The Secretary of State made the remarks during a brief media interaction at a flag ceremony for US Ambassador to Ireland Dan Rooney at the Foggy Bottom headquarters of the State Department.
This was her first public comment after she returned to work following her month long illness.
"Obviously, it`s somewhat bittersweet because I have had the most extraordinary experience and with the amazing team of people but I am very much looking forward to doing everything we can these last few weeks to resolve and finish up wherever possible and then to have a very smooth seamless transition to Senator Kerry to continue the work," Clinton said, when asked about her leaving the State Department after successfully serving as the Secretary of State for four years.
When the Secretary of State was asked about her "retirement", Clinton said that this might not be the word that she would use for her new phase in life.
"I don`t know if that is a word I would use, but certainly stepping off the very fast track for a little while," Clinton said in response to a question.
Clinton resumed her work on Monday after a month of illness, which started with a stomach infection early December.
Later in the month she was admitted to a New York City hospital and was treated with blood thinner for a blood clot in her head.
Doctors have declared her fully recovered.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand