Leaving state department is bittersweet: Hillary Clinton
Washington: Thrilled to be back at the State Department after a month of illness, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton today said it is "bittersweet" leaving her post as the top American diplomat.
"I am thrilled to be back and I am also incredibly grateful for this fabulous team that I have here at the State Department who never missed a beat during the time I was away. We are focused on continuing our work, finishing up everything that we can and helping Senator Kerry with his transition," Clinton said.
The Secretary of State made the remarks during a brief media interaction at a flag ceremony for US Ambassador to Ireland Dan Rooney at the Foggy Bottom headquarters of the State Department.
This was her first public comment after she returned to work following her month long illness.
"Obviously, it`s somewhat bittersweet because I have had the most extraordinary experience and with the amazing team of people but I am very much looking forward to doing everything we can these last few weeks to resolve and finish up wherever possible and then to have a very smooth seamless transition to Senator Kerry to continue the work," Clinton said, when asked about her leaving the State Department after successfully serving as the Secretary of State for four years.
When the Secretary of State was asked about her "retirement", Clinton said that this might not be the word that she would use for her new phase in life.
"I don`t know if that is a word I would use, but certainly stepping off the very fast track for a little while," Clinton said in response to a question.
Clinton resumed her work on Monday after a month of illness, which started with a stomach infection early December.
Later in the month she was admitted to a New York City hospital and was treated with blood thinner for a blood clot in her head.
Doctors have declared her fully recovered.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?