Lebanese PM says resignation `out of the question`
Beirut: Lebanon`s prime minister says his resignation is "out of the question" after raising the possibility following the assassination of a top intelligence official last week.
Prime Minister Najib Mikati`s comments come at a time of growing political and sectarian tensions caused by the civil war in neighboring Syria.
Many in Lebanon blamed Syria and its Lebanese ally Hezbollah for the October 19 car bomb attack that killed the intelligence chief.
Lebanon`s opposition has demanded the resignation of Mikati`s Hezbollah-dominated government, saying it is too cozy with the Syrian regime.
Mikati initially said he is not clinging to his job.But the premier told local broadcaster MTV today that his resignation would set off a new crisis, a reference to a power vacuum. Mikati`s website also carried the remarks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!