Lebanese PM says resignation `out of the question`
Beirut: Lebanon`s prime minister says his resignation is "out of the question" after raising the possibility following the assassination of a top intelligence official last week.
Prime Minister Najib Mikati`s comments come at a time of growing political and sectarian tensions caused by the civil war in neighboring Syria.
Many in Lebanon blamed Syria and its Lebanese ally Hezbollah for the October 19 car bomb attack that killed the intelligence chief.
Lebanon`s opposition has demanded the resignation of Mikati`s Hezbollah-dominated government, saying it is too cozy with the Syrian regime.
Mikati initially said he is not clinging to his job.But the premier told local broadcaster MTV today that his resignation would set off a new crisis, a reference to a power vacuum. Mikati`s website also carried the remarks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore