Lebanese PM says resignation `out of the question`
Beirut: Lebanon`s prime minister says his resignation is "out of the question" after raising the possibility following the assassination of a top intelligence official last week.
Prime Minister Najib Mikati`s comments come at a time of growing political and sectarian tensions caused by the civil war in neighboring Syria.
Many in Lebanon blamed Syria and its Lebanese ally Hezbollah for the October 19 car bomb attack that killed the intelligence chief.
Lebanon`s opposition has demanded the resignation of Mikati`s Hezbollah-dominated government, saying it is too cozy with the Syrian regime.
Mikati initially said he is not clinging to his job.But the premier told local broadcaster MTV today that his resignation would set off a new crisis, a reference to a power vacuum. Mikati`s website also carried the remarks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you