Lebanese PM says resignation `out of the question`
Beirut: Lebanon`s prime minister says his resignation is "out of the question" after raising the possibility following the assassination of a top intelligence official last week.
Prime Minister Najib Mikati`s comments come at a time of growing political and sectarian tensions caused by the civil war in neighboring Syria.
Many in Lebanon blamed Syria and its Lebanese ally Hezbollah for the October 19 car bomb attack that killed the intelligence chief.
Lebanon`s opposition has demanded the resignation of Mikati`s Hezbollah-dominated government, saying it is too cozy with the Syrian regime.
Mikati initially said he is not clinging to his job.But the premier told local broadcaster MTV today that his resignation would set off a new crisis, a reference to a power vacuum. Mikati`s website also carried the remarks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur