Lebanese PM says resignation `out of the question`
Beirut: Lebanon`s prime minister says his resignation is "out of the question" after raising the possibility following the assassination of a top intelligence official last week.
Prime Minister Najib Mikati`s comments come at a time of growing political and sectarian tensions caused by the civil war in neighboring Syria.
Many in Lebanon blamed Syria and its Lebanese ally Hezbollah for the October 19 car bomb attack that killed the intelligence chief.
Lebanon`s opposition has demanded the resignation of Mikati`s Hezbollah-dominated government, saying it is too cozy with the Syrian regime.
Mikati initially said he is not clinging to his job.But the premier told local broadcaster MTV today that his resignation would set off a new crisis, a reference to a power vacuum. Mikati`s website also carried the remarks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister