Lebanon Army says jihadist commander arrested
Beirut: Lebanon`s army on Wednesday announced the arrest of a commander loyal to Al-Qaeda, adding he was involved in an attack against the military last month.
"The army intelligence command successfully arrested at dawn today a commander of the Abdallah Azzam Brigades, the wanted terrorist Jamal Daftardar, in a raid... In a village in the western Bekaa valley," an army statement said.
The military also said another group member, "who threatened to launch a hand grenade, was fired on and died on the spot".
The statement said the Daftardar`s whereabouts were discovered in the course of an investigation "into the attack by a terrorist group against an army checkpoint in Sidon (southern Lebanon) on December 15".
Twin attacks, one by a suicide bomber, targeted two army checkpoints in Sidon, southern Lebanon`s main city, killing an army officer.
An ensuing firefight killed four attackers.
Daftardar was born in Tripoli, a majority Sunni city in northern Lebanon that sees frequent sectarian fighting related to the war in neighbouring Syria.
He is accused by the Lebanese judicial authorities of membership to "a gang whose aim is to commit crimes against people and financial interests, and to undermine the state`s authority."
Daftardar is also accused of "possession of weapons and transporting explosive material, with a view to staging terrorist attacks," according to the text of an indictment issued in May 2008.
Daftardar was among dozens of people who had arrest warrants issued against them after a 2007 battle pitted Islamists loyal to the radical Fatah al-Islam group against Lebanon`s army in Nahr al-Bared, in the north of the country.
Daftardar`s arrest comes days after the death in custody of Majid al-Majid, head of the Abdallah Azzam Brigades, which had claimed responsibility for a November attack against Iran`s embassy in Beirut that killed 25 people.
Majid died of poor health, a judicial source said.
The group has also claimed responsibility for launching rockets against Israel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Kamal Haasan to be conferred French award
- New laser created from jellyfish proteins
- Rohit Shetty's 'Ram Lakhan' remake not happening anymore? Here's what we know so far!
- Gionee S6s smartphone for selfie lovers to be launched in India today
- Rio Olympics 2016: Sakshi Malik, PV Sindhu shine for India; USA top tally with 121 medals