Lebanon arrests 4 after deadly Beirut shootout
Beirut: Lebanese authorities have arrested four suspects in this week`s deadly Beirut street battle between the Shiite Muslim Hezbollah group and a small Sunni group.
The suspects are accused of attacking and setting fire to a Sunni mosque during Tuesday`s hours-long clash, which killed three people, including two Hezbollah members. It was the worst fighting in Beirut since 2008.
A senior security official says the arrests were made in army raids Friday night in the Bourj Abu Haidar residential neighborhood, where the fighting took place.
The official spoke on Saturday on condition of anonymity in line with military regulations.
Witnesses said the fighting was touched off by a traffic dispute that escalated when local gunmen gathered reinforcements.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...