Lebanon arrests 4 after deadly Beirut shootout
Beirut: Lebanese authorities have arrested four suspects in this week`s deadly Beirut street battle between the Shiite Muslim Hezbollah group and a small Sunni group.
The suspects are accused of attacking and setting fire to a Sunni mosque during Tuesday`s hours-long clash, which killed three people, including two Hezbollah members. It was the worst fighting in Beirut since 2008.
A senior security official says the arrests were made in army raids Friday night in the Bourj Abu Haidar residential neighborhood, where the fighting took place.
The official spoke on Saturday on condition of anonymity in line with military regulations.
Witnesses said the fighting was touched off by a traffic dispute that escalated when local gunmen gathered reinforcements.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Three new suicide attacks in Lebanon village near Syria
- Preparing for Brexit, Britain may see new PM by early September
- US says India has shown sustained commitment to non-proliferation
- Earthquake shakes southern Mexico, felt in capital
- Turkey mends fences with Israel and Russia in foreign policy reset