Lebanon sheltering nearly 428,000 Syrian refugees: UNHRC
Beirut: About 428, 000 Syrian refugees have fled their war-torn country to Lebanon, the UN Higher Refugees Council (UNHRC) has said in its latest report.
These refugees are being given aid by the UN agencies and Lebanese government, it adds.
The number of Syrian refugees, registered so far with the agency `s offices in Lebanon is 302,000, and there are more than 125,000, still waiting to complete their registration process, reported Xinhua citing UNHRC`s report.
In January, Lebanon appealed for $370 million from Arab countries to help it meet the Syrian refugee influx which has threatened to bring the number of the displaced to 420,000 in June.
The number of refugees in Lebanon has surpassed 10 percent of its population and is causing a huge burden on the state and people of Lebanon, said United Nations Higher Commissioner for Refugees Antonio Guterres.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 92 seats, BJP ahead in 73; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena maintains grip on Mumbai, BJP dominates other cities
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway