Lebanon stops fresh rocket attack on Israel
Beirut: Lebanese army soldiers found and deactivated four rockets Wednesday in the area from where a rocket had been fired towards northern Israel, witnesses said.
The rockets had been positioned on wooden launchers and rigged to launch with timing devices, the witnesses said.
There was no immediate comment from the army.
The rocket fired from the southern Lebanese village of Houla Tuesday struck the northern Israeli border town of Kiryat Shmona causing no damage or injury. Israel responded with artillery fire at Lebanon.
The commander of the UN peacekeeping force (UNIFIL) Major General Claudio Graziano inspected the area where the rockets were found -- in the garden of a partially constructed house.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the rocket attack. A militant group claiming links to al Qaeda said it was responsible for firing two rockets from Lebanon at northern Israel last month.
The border has remained mostly quiet though tense since Israel and Hezbollah guerrillas fought a war in 2006. Both Israel and Lebanon accuse each other of violating the UN-brokered truce which ended the war and after which UNIFIL`s presence was beefed up.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!