Legal challenge launched to Suu Kyi`s candidacy
Yangon: Aung San Suu Kyi`s bid for a seat in
Myanmar`s Parliament has been challenged by a rival candidate.
Suu Kyi`s spokesman Nyan Win said today that Tin Yi of
the Party for Unity and Peace had submitted a complaint to the
district election commission that the Nobel peace laureate was
not eligible to run in the April 1 by-election.
The basis for his protest was a constitutional provision
barring persons enjoying the benefits of a foreign citizen
from serving in parliament.
Nyan Win said Suu Kyi`s National League for Democracy
party submitted a rebuttal stating that the complaint was
based on hearsay and false information.
In 1990, Suu Kyi also filed to run in the general
election, but was disqualified after a similar objection.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?