Legal challenge launched to Suu Kyi`s candidacy
Yangon: Aung San Suu Kyi`s bid for a seat in
Myanmar`s Parliament has been challenged by a rival candidate.
Suu Kyi`s spokesman Nyan Win said today that Tin Yi of
the Party for Unity and Peace had submitted a complaint to the
district election commission that the Nobel peace laureate was
not eligible to run in the April 1 by-election.
The basis for his protest was a constitutional provision
barring persons enjoying the benefits of a foreign citizen
from serving in parliament.
Nyan Win said Suu Kyi`s National League for Democracy
party submitted a rebuttal stating that the complaint was
based on hearsay and false information.
In 1990, Suu Kyi also filed to run in the general
election, but was disqualified after a similar objection.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Munich attack: Facebook activates safety check tool
- Anamika Khanna weaves romance at India Couture Week
- Blue hues to die for! Sonakshi Sinha is basking under Maldives sun- See pic
- Types of HIV carried by chimps can infect humans: Study
- NASA’s SDO captures bursts of solar material from the Sun- Watch