Legal woes? Italian PM jokes about `bunga bunga`
Rome: Premier Silvio Berlusconi doesn`t seem to be letting his legal woes get him down, joking on Friday to two young blondes that he`d like to invite them to his famed "bunga bunga" parties.
Berlusconi went on trial this week on charges he paid for sex with a 17-year-old girl at some of the parties then tried to use his influence to cover it up. He and the girl both deny that they had sex.
The 74-year-old Premier was handing out prizes to a dozen promising young college graduates in the courtyard of his Rome offices on Friday when he congratulated two young women for their accomplishments.
"Congratulations, you are so great. I`m thinking of inviting you to `bunga bunga’," Berlusconi quipped, as his seemingly exasperated Youth Minister Georgia Meloni looked away.
Berlusconi didn`t stop, telling a third recipient — a male — that he was cute enough to come along as well.
The billionaire media mogul-turned politician is an unapologetic jokester who frequently explains away off-colour gaffes as harmless jokes.
Participants at his dinner parties have said "bunga bunga" was an inside joke; prosecutors have said it referred to erotic dancing and stripteases that followed dinner.
Berlusconi was in a particularly ebullient mood on Friday, telling another two prize recipients with bald spots that he`d pass along the number of the doctor who performed a hair transplant on him.
To another, Berlusconi pointed out that the bottom of his tie was poking out from his suit, and to yet another he suggested getting rid of his beard. All told, he told the crowd, he had some 2,000 jokes at his disposal for just about any occasion.
Berlusconi has a history of legal woes stemming from his business dealings though he has never been convicted. The trial on underage prostitution and abuse of office charges is the first to delve into his private life.
The Premier has denounced magistrates for pursuing what he considers a politically-motivated witch hunt designed to drive him from office.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks