Leon Panetta angry at ex-Navy SEAL’s Osama book
Washington: US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta has expressed anger over ex-Navy SEAL, who has written a book describing the Abbotabad raid that killed Osama bin Laden.
Panetta, in an exclusive interview with CBS News, shed new light on what Mark Owen’s book detailing the raid meant for his fellow Navy SEALs, how the book has been received by the intelligence community, and will also give new details to Owen’s account of the raid.
“Oh, you can conduct these operations and then go out and write a book about it...and/or sell your story to the New York Times. How the hell can we run sensitive operations here that go after enemies if people are allowed to do that?,” Panetta said.
He also said that Americans have the right to know about the operation and this is why the President spoke to them after the operation.
“And, yes, you know, they have a right to know that there were those that put their lives on the line in order to conduct that operation,” he said.
According to the report, Panetta said that it was, however, not justified on part of the former SEAL to write a book on the secret operation as he was committed that they will not reveal anything about it and not publish anything without bringing it through the Pentagon, so that we know that no sensitive information has been revealed.
He said that we have got to make sure that they stand by the promise they made to this country. He said that the Pentagon was currently reviewing the book to determine whether it contains any classified information or not and whether it is written within the lines. A retired Navy SEAL involved in the mission used the pseudonym, Mark Owen, to write the book No Easy Day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says