Leon Panetta focused on job right now: Pentagon
Washington: US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta is focused on his job right now, and not on his "personal future", the Pentagon has said while refraining from making any comment on the question if he will stay or leave in this position in the second term of the Obama Administration.
"Secretary Panetta is focused squarely on his job today. He`s focused on the missions of the Department of Defence, and he`s not focused on his personal future," Pentagon Press Secretary George Little told reporters at his news conference on Thursday.
"There`s always a temptation shortly after an election to engage in what I call Washington parlour games and to speculate about personnel changes that may or may not occur in the future," he said, responding to questions on whether or not Panetta has decided when or if he will leave his office and what his plans may be for the future.
Panetta, who will turn 75 in June, has been the Defence Secretary since June 2011. Before that he was the CIA director in which capacity he oversaw the killing of Osama bin Laden.
It is too early to say on whether US President Barack Obama would contemplate changing his Defence Secretary in his new Cabinet. In case that former undersecretary of defence, Michele Flournoy, is said to be topping the list of probable candidates for the top position in Pentagon along with Deputy Secretary of Defence Ashton Carter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan