Lesbian lawmaker in US carries baby for gay men
Salt Lake City: Republican Christine Johnson will serve an additional role when the Utah
Legislature convenes this month. The lesbian lawmaker announced she`s a surrogate mother, carrying a baby for two gay men.
Johnson said she decided to become artificially impregnated with sperm from one of the men after the two close friends expressed frustration over the difficulty of adopting a child.
Utah law prohibits unmarried couples from adopting and does not recognise gay marriage.
Johnson, 41, who has a 17-year-old daughter from a two-year marriage, is four months pregnant and expecting on June 21.
"I can very much empathise with their desire to become parents and share their lives with and open their hearts to a child," Johnson told the Salt Lake Tribune. "I`m immeasurably grateful to be a mother."
Johnson offered to be a surrogate at no cost to save the men the prohibitive cost of hiring one - as much as USD 1,00,000.
The men, who were married in California when gay marriage was legal, will pick up the medical costs.
Johnson said she`s aware that many lawmakers in conservative Utah think a child does best with both a mother and a father. She predicts the men will be "wonderful parents."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble