Lesbian lawmaker in US carries baby for gay men
Salt Lake City: Republican Christine Johnson will serve an additional role when the Utah
Legislature convenes this month. The lesbian lawmaker announced she`s a surrogate mother, carrying a baby for two gay men.
Johnson said she decided to become artificially impregnated with sperm from one of the men after the two close friends expressed frustration over the difficulty of adopting a child.
Utah law prohibits unmarried couples from adopting and does not recognise gay marriage.
Johnson, 41, who has a 17-year-old daughter from a two-year marriage, is four months pregnant and expecting on June 21.
"I can very much empathise with their desire to become parents and share their lives with and open their hearts to a child," Johnson told the Salt Lake Tribune. "I`m immeasurably grateful to be a mother."
Johnson offered to be a surrogate at no cost to save the men the prohibitive cost of hiring one - as much as USD 1,00,000.
The men, who were married in California when gay marriage was legal, will pick up the medical costs.
Johnson said she`s aware that many lawmakers in conservative Utah think a child does best with both a mother and a father. She predicts the men will be "wonderful parents."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!
- After Azhar, Harbhajan Singh visits Navjot Singh Sidhu in hospital!