Library dedicated to George Washington gets USD 10mn gift
Washington: Philanthropist David Rubenstein is giving USD 10 million to George Washington`s Mount Vernon estate in northern Virginia to build a library for the first US president`s books and papers.
Mount Vernon officials say the gift announced today surpasses their fundraising goal of USD 100 million for the project. It also marks what would have been Washington`s 281st birthday Friday.
The National Library for the Study of George Washington is scheduled to open September 27. It will be a centre for scholarly research and leadership training for government, military, non-profit and corporate officials, as well as students and educators.
Rubenstein says Washington`s character and qualities provide a timeless example of leadership.
The library`s largest meeting hall will be named for Rubenstein. His gift also funds a USD 4 million endowment for rare books and manuscripts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead