Library dedicated to George Washington gets USD 10mn gift
Washington: Philanthropist David Rubenstein is giving USD 10 million to George Washington`s Mount Vernon estate in northern Virginia to build a library for the first US president`s books and papers.
Mount Vernon officials say the gift announced today surpasses their fundraising goal of USD 100 million for the project. It also marks what would have been Washington`s 281st birthday Friday.
The National Library for the Study of George Washington is scheduled to open September 27. It will be a centre for scholarly research and leadership training for government, military, non-profit and corporate officials, as well as students and educators.
Rubenstein says Washington`s character and qualities provide a timeless example of leadership.
The library`s largest meeting hall will be named for Rubenstein. His gift also funds a USD 4 million endowment for rare books and manuscripts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials