Libya attack was spontaneous: US ambassador to UN
Washington: A high-powered assault on the US Consulate in Benghazi, Libya, was a spontaneous reaction to a film deemed offensive to Islam, the US ambassador to the United Nations said on Sunday, not a premeditated assault tied to the anniversary of the September 11 attacks.
Unnerved by the rapidly escalating raid on Tuesday that claimed the life of the ambassador to Libya and three other Americans, the White House last week launched an investigation into whether terrorist groups had exploited outrage over the video to trigger an attack long in the works.
But Ambassador Susan Rice said evidence gathered so far shows no indications of a premeditated or coordinated strike.
She said the deadly protest in Benghazi appeared to be a copycat of demonstrations that had erupted hours earlier outside the US Embassy in Cairo.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IIT Kharagpur students design racing car to compete in Russia
- IRCTC to offer Rs 10 lakh insurance cover for Re 1
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security?
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part II
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part III
- Muttiah Muralitharan, three others to be inducted into ICC Hall of Fame
- Rio Games 2016: Olympic pro at 22, Shiva Thapa banks on improved strength at mega event
- India vs West Indies: Confident visitors arrive in Kingston for 2nd Test
- Coal scam: Court awards 3 years jail term to Rathi Steel CEO
- 'India more than capable of achieving 100 Smart City goal'