Tripoli: Libyan has said that it is committed to cooperating with the International Criminal Court (ICC) concerning the case of slain dictator Muammar Gaddafi’s son, Saif al-Islam.
“The government remains committed to co-operate with this court in what relates to the proceedings of the accused Saif Gaddafi and his full rights to a defence”, interim Prime Minister Abdel Rahim al-Kib said.
According to News24, the minister’s remarks came as Libya seeks to resolve the issue of four detained ICC envoys.
Kib said his government hoped to find a solution that ‘respects Libyan and international laws’ in the case of four ICC envoys who were detained after visiting the dead dictator`s captured son.
“In return, the Libyan government expects the ICC to guarantee the professional ethics of its delegates who visit Libya, to respect Libyan laws and the sovereignty of the state,” he added.
Kib said that the June 06 visit by Australian lawyer Melinda Taylor and three other ICC delegates had been arranged in cooperation with the ICC and had the authorisation of the Libyan prosecutor general.
He said that the main purpose of the visit was to give the delegation an opportunity to meet Saif and to help him choose a defence lawyer.
“Melinda Taylor handed the accused documents whose contents undermine the national security of Libya,” the report quoted Kib, as saying.
“The act is considered an offence punishable by Libya`s criminal law,” he said.
“The documents have nothing to do with the procedures of the International Criminal Court. And they are not linked in any way with the carrying out of legal consultations related to the case of the accused,” he added.