Libya death toll reaches 233: Report
Algiers: The estimated death toll from four days of violence in Libya between security forces and protesters is at least 233, New-York based Human Rights Watch said on Sunday.
The group said sources at two hospitals in the eastern city of Benghazi, where the worst of the violence has taken place, said at least 60 people were killed on Sunday.
In the meantime, Muammar Gaddafi’s son went on state television to proclaim that his father remained in charge with the Army`s backing and would "fight until the last man, the last woman, the last bullet”.
Seif al-Islam Gaddafi, in the regime`s first comments on the six days of demonstrations, warned the protesters that they risked igniting a civil war in which Libya`s oil wealth "will be burned”.
Anti-government unrest has spread to the Libyan capital of Tripoli and protesters seized military bases and weapons on Sunday.
The speech followed a fierce crackdown by security forces who fired on thousands of demonstrators and funeral marchers in the eastern city of Benghazi in a bloody cycle of violence that killed 60 people on Sunday alone, according to a doctor in one city hospital.
Libya response has been the harshest of any Arab country that has been wracked by the protests that toppled long-serving leaders in neighbouring Tunisia and Egypt. But Gaddafi`s son said his father would prevail.
"We are not Tunisia and Egypt," he said. "Muammar Gaddafi, our leader, is leading the battle in Tripoli, and we are with him.”
"The armed forces are with him. Tens of thousands are heading here to be with him. We will fight until the last man, the last woman, the last bullet," he said in a rambling and sometimes confused speech of nearly 40 minutes.
Although the elder Gaddafi did not appear, his son has often been put forward as the regime`s face of reform.
Western countries have expressed concern at the rising violence against demonstrators in Libya. British Foreign Secretary William Hague said he spoke to Seif al-Islam by phone and told him that the country must embark on "dialogue and implement reforms”, the Foreign Office said.
In his speech, the younger Gaddafi conceded the Army made some mistakes during the protests because the troops were not trained to deal with demonstrators, but he added that the number of dead had been exaggerated, giving a death toll of 84.
He offered to put forward reforms within days that he described as a "historic national initiative" and said the regime was willing to remove some restrictions and begin discussions for a Constitution. He offered to change a number of laws, including those covering the media and the penal code.
Dressed in a dark business suit and tie, Seif al-Islam wagged his finger frequently as he delivered his warnings. He said that if protests continued, Libya would slide back to "colonial" rule. "You will get Americans and European fleets coming your way and they will occupy you.”
He threatened to "eradicate the pockets of sedition" and said the Army will play a main role in restoring order.
"There has to be a firm stand," he said. "This is not the Tunisian or Egyptian Army."
Protesters had seized some military bases, tanks and other weapons, he said, blaming Islamists, the media, thugs, drunks and drug abusers, foreigners — including Egyptians and Tunisians.
He also admitted that the unrest had spread to Tripoli, with people firing in central Green Square before fleeing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa