Libya delays Saif Gaddafi’s trial
Tripoli: Libyan authorities have decided to delay the trial of slain dictator Muammar Gaddafi`s son, Saif al-Islam, in a bid to gather more incriminating evidence against him from a former spy chief who was extradited from Mauritania.
Abdullah al-Senussi, Libya`s former chief of intelligence, who was extradited to Tripoli this week, is expected to know and reveal the secrets of many former regime figures, including Saif.
Prosecution spokesman Taha Ba`ara said that Senussi might be able to offer information that can be used in Saif`s trial.
“We expect the trial of Saif al-Islam to be delayed a little because Abdullah Senussi will be able to provide new information that can be used in Saif`s trial,” The Guardian quoted Ba`ara, as saying.
Both Saif and Senussi have been charged by the International Criminal Court last year with committing crimes against humanity.
Libya, however, insists both men will be tried at home, and not at The Hague, and will face execution if found guilty.
According to the paper, Senussi’s interrogation has already begun in Tripoli amid tight security, with Prime Minister Abdurrahim El Keib promising to give him a "fair trial".
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know