Libya, Egypt to appeal ruling on Gaddafi cousin
Tripoli: Libya and Egypt are to appeal against an Egyptian court ruling blocking the extradition of Muammar Gaddafi`s cousin Ahmed Qaddaf al-Dam to face corruption charges, Prime Minster Ali Zeidan said on Monday.
"The governments of Libya and Egypt have decided to appeal the Egyptian administrative court`s order against the extradition," Zeidan told a press briefing in Tripoli.
He said the two governments were in total agreement over the move and that Egypt believed the extradition was legal, giving assurances that Dam would have a fair trial in Libya.
Dam, who had a senior role under Gaddafi before the dictator`s overthrow and killing in 2011, was arrested in Cairo last month along with Libya`s former ambassador Ali Maria and another Gaddafi-era official.
While the two others have been handed over to the Libyan authorities, the administrative court in Cairo on April 3 ruled against Dam`s extradition.
It said Dam was under investigation for alleged crimes inside Egypt and should be tried there.
The Libyan prosecutor`s spokesman, Taha Baara, has said that Tripoli issued an international arrest warrant for Dam for "forging documents," while the two others were wanted for "financial crimes".
Dam, who had an Egyptian residency permit, oversaw relations between Tripoli and Cairo but resigned from his post in February 2011 after the start of the revolt against Gaddafi.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today