Libya faces possible charges: ICC prosecutor
The Hague: The International Criminal
Court`s prosecutor warned the Libyan regime on Wednesday it could
face investigation and prosecution if it tries to cover up
crimes committed against its people.
The office of the prosecutor sent a letter to Libyan
Foreign Minister Abdelati Obeidi, its head of jurisdiction
Phakiso Mochochoko said.
"The office calls upon you and other Libyan authorities
to refrain from being involved in such cover up. Failure to do
so will result in investigation and prosecution," said the
letter, shown to a news agency.
The office "considers that part of the criminal plan
implemented in Libya includes the cover-up of the crimes"
committed to quash a popular uprising against Colonel Muammar
Gaddafi that erupted in February.
ICC Prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo on Monday asked the
court`s judges to issue arrest warrants against Gaddafi, his
second-oldest son Seif al-Islam and his brother-in-law
Abdullah al-Senussi -- for crimes against humanity.
But Libya`s government spokesman Mussa Ibrahim has
dismissed the ICC`s bid, saying the court has no jurisdiction
over Tripoli while denying accusations that the regime ordered
the killing of civilians or hired mercenaries against them.
However, Mochochoko said Gaddafi`s regime is obliged to
cooperate after the United Nations Security Council in
February referred the Libyan crisis to the ICC prosecutor for
investigation into crimes against humanity.
Thousands of people have died in violent clashes pitting
regime opponents and Gaddafi loyalists, and forced some
750,000 to flee, according to data from the ICC and the UN.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees