Libya: Helicopter downed, election worker killed
Tripoli: Gunmen shot down a helicopter carrying voting materials near the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi on Friday, killing one election commission worker, a spokesman for the country`s ruling council said.
The attack further escalated tensions that were already running high in Libya on the eve of the country`s first national election since the toppling and killing of longtime dictator Muammar Gaddafi last year.
Saleh Darhoub, a spokesman for the National Transitional Council, said the helicopter came under attack while flying over Benina airport on the outskirts of the eastern city of Benghazi. He said that one worker killed but that the crew survived after a crash landing.
He described the assailants as "enemies of the revolution" and said the attack won`t stop the country from holding elections.
The shooting comes a day after former rebel fighters from eastern Libya shut down three oil refineries and attacked offices of election commission in eastern Libya, to pressure the ruling council to cancel elections, citing an unfair distribution of seats among Libya`s regions.
The oil-rich east suffered marginalisation and neglect under Gaddafi`s four-decade rule. After the revolution, eastern tribal leaders and commanders demanded an equal number of seats in the new Parliament which is tasked to form a government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Gujjars revive agitation for 5% quota in jobs, block rail track
- Manthan: Expert's tips to avoid stomach gas, constipation
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now