Libya: Helicopter downed, election worker killed
Tripoli: Gunmen shot down a helicopter carrying voting materials near the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi on Friday, killing one election commission worker, a spokesman for the country`s ruling council said.
The attack further escalated tensions that were already running high in Libya on the eve of the country`s first national election since the toppling and killing of longtime dictator Muammar Gaddafi last year.
Saleh Darhoub, a spokesman for the National Transitional Council, said the helicopter came under attack while flying over Benina airport on the outskirts of the eastern city of Benghazi. He said that one worker killed but that the crew survived after a crash landing.
He described the assailants as "enemies of the revolution" and said the attack won`t stop the country from holding elections.
The shooting comes a day after former rebel fighters from eastern Libya shut down three oil refineries and attacked offices of election commission in eastern Libya, to pressure the ruling council to cancel elections, citing an unfair distribution of seats among Libya`s regions.
The oil-rich east suffered marginalisation and neglect under Gaddafi`s four-decade rule. After the revolution, eastern tribal leaders and commanders demanded an equal number of seats in the new Parliament which is tasked to form a government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics