Libya launches national dialogue initiative
Tripoli: Libyan Prime Minister Ali Zeidan on Monday announced the launch of a national dialogue initiative to tackle issues ranging from national reconciliation to disarmament, as Libya battles a wave of instability.
The country has in recent months been hit by deadly attacks on military and police officers in the east and strikes at its main oil terminals, in some of the worst unrest since dictator Moammar Gaddafi was toppled in October 2011.
"It is a question of forming a commission made up of Libyan personalities from civil society who will initiate a debate around the issues of the future constitution, national reconciliation, displaced persons, disarmament or security," Zeidan said.
He said the "form of the state and the questions of development will be included, among other issues, in this national debate with the support of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL)".
"This commission that will oversee this dialogue will be entirely independent from the government and from the General National Congress (the highest political authority in the country)," Zeidan said at a joint press conference with former vice-president Jumaa Attiga and UNSMIL chief Tarek Mitri.
Mitri said the campaign would help "highlight the diversity of Libyan society," adding that the UN was ready to lend its "support, its experience and technical knowledge to this initiative".
Attiga, who will sit on the commission, said the dialogue was aimed at bringing out the Libyan national identity, complaining that in the past "everyone relied on their tribe or their region, neglecting the national dimension".
The initiative comes against a backdrop of rising instability in Libya, with tension in the west of the country, where members of the Wershifana tribe clashed with residents of the town of Zawiya.
In the east, oil terminals in eastern Libya have also been hit by strikes since the end of July.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister