Libya launches national dialogue initiative
Tripoli: Libyan Prime Minister Ali Zeidan on Monday announced the launch of a national dialogue initiative to tackle issues ranging from national reconciliation to disarmament, as Libya battles a wave of instability.
The country has in recent months been hit by deadly attacks on military and police officers in the east and strikes at its main oil terminals, in some of the worst unrest since dictator Moammar Gaddafi was toppled in October 2011.
"It is a question of forming a commission made up of Libyan personalities from civil society who will initiate a debate around the issues of the future constitution, national reconciliation, displaced persons, disarmament or security," Zeidan said.
He said the "form of the state and the questions of development will be included, among other issues, in this national debate with the support of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL)".
"This commission that will oversee this dialogue will be entirely independent from the government and from the General National Congress (the highest political authority in the country)," Zeidan said at a joint press conference with former vice-president Jumaa Attiga and UNSMIL chief Tarek Mitri.
Mitri said the campaign would help "highlight the diversity of Libyan society," adding that the UN was ready to lend its "support, its experience and technical knowledge to this initiative".
Attiga, who will sit on the commission, said the dialogue was aimed at bringing out the Libyan national identity, complaining that in the past "everyone relied on their tribe or their region, neglecting the national dimension".
The initiative comes against a backdrop of rising instability in Libya, with tension in the west of the country, where members of the Wershifana tribe clashed with residents of the town of Zawiya.
In the east, oil terminals in eastern Libya have also been hit by strikes since the end of July.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm