Libya military police chief killed in Benghazi: Security
Benghazi: Libya`s military police chief, Colonel Mustapha al-Barghathi, was shot dead today in the restive eastern city of Benghazi in the latest assault on the restive country`s fledgling security forces.
Unknown assailants gunned down Barghathi outside his home, Colonel Abdullah al-Zaidi, spokesman for the security services said.
He said Barghathi -- a former rebel leader in the 2011 uprising that toppled longtime dictator Moamer Kadhafi -- died of head and chest wounds at the Mediterranean city`s Al-Jala hospital.
Barghathi was the first officer in Kadhafi`s army to defect and form a rebel force in the revolt, Zaidi said.
Later today, members of the slain officer`s Braghtha tribe fired rocket-propelled grenades at the home of another prominent former rebel they believed was behind the killing, according to a security source. The home was empty at the time.
The house belonged to Wissam Ben Hamid, commander of the "Shield of Libya" brigade made up of Islamist former rebels.
The group`s headquarters were attacked in June by protesters seeking to drive militias out of the eastern city, sparking clashes in which more than 30 people were killed.
Benghazi was the cradle of the uprising that toppled Kadhafi`s regime, but has since seen a series of assassinations targeting officers in the security services.
Other attacks have targeted Western interests and diplomats, and much of the violence -- including the killing of US ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans in an attack on the US mission last year -- has been attributed to radical Islamists.
The attacks have not been claimed and no arrests have apparently been made.
Two years after the revolution, Libya`s new authorities have failed to establish a new army and police force, and are still struggling to rein in tribal militias and groups of former rebels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27