Libya: Rape victim flees with defecting military officer
London: A Libyan woman who sprung to worldwide attention after alleging that she had been gang-raped by Gaddafi forces has escaped from the country to Tunisia with a defecting military officer.
Eman al-Obeidi fled in disguise, accompanied by a defecting military officer who used his official pass to get them through regime checkpoints and into rebel territory, The Telegraph reports.
She used an official military car and dressed in Berber tribal costume, with a headscarf covering "everything except one eye", she said in an interview with CNN.
She crossed to Tunisia through the rebel-held Dehiba border post on Thursday and is now under the protection of European diplomats.
It may be recalled that al-Obeidi burst in to a hotel used by foreign journalists in central Tripoli on March 26, saying she had been taken from an official checkpoint, held for two days and raped by 15 men.
Pictures of her forcible removal from the hotel by Libyan security officials shocked the world.
The escape was "very tiring. I still do not know what I am going to do. Of course I would like to see my family," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon