Libya: Rape victim flees with defecting military officer
London: A Libyan woman who sprung to worldwide attention after alleging that she had been gang-raped by Gaddafi forces has escaped from the country to Tunisia with a defecting military officer.
Eman al-Obeidi fled in disguise, accompanied by a defecting military officer who used his official pass to get them through regime checkpoints and into rebel territory, The Telegraph reports.
She used an official military car and dressed in Berber tribal costume, with a headscarf covering "everything except one eye", she said in an interview with CNN.
She crossed to Tunisia through the rebel-held Dehiba border post on Thursday and is now under the protection of European diplomats.
It may be recalled that al-Obeidi burst in to a hotel used by foreign journalists in central Tripoli on March 26, saying she had been taken from an official checkpoint, held for two days and raped by 15 men.
Pictures of her forcible removal from the hotel by Libyan security officials shocked the world.
The escape was "very tiring. I still do not know what I am going to do. Of course I would like to see my family," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Actress Leslie Jones' website hacked, nude photos posted
- Afghan forces hunt gunmen after American University attack
- Islamic State attacks Western-backed camp on Jordan-Syria border
- Italy quake kills 159 as rescuers race to find survivors
- Syria launched chemical attacks, IS used mustard gas: UN report