Libya: Rape victim flees with defecting military officer
London: A Libyan woman who sprung to worldwide attention after alleging that she had been gang-raped by Gaddafi forces has escaped from the country to Tunisia with a defecting military officer.
Eman al-Obeidi fled in disguise, accompanied by a defecting military officer who used his official pass to get them through regime checkpoints and into rebel territory, The Telegraph reports.
She used an official military car and dressed in Berber tribal costume, with a headscarf covering "everything except one eye", she said in an interview with CNN.
She crossed to Tunisia through the rebel-held Dehiba border post on Thursday and is now under the protection of European diplomats.
It may be recalled that al-Obeidi burst in to a hotel used by foreign journalists in central Tripoli on March 26, saying she had been taken from an official checkpoint, held for two days and raped by 15 men.
Pictures of her forcible removal from the hotel by Libyan security officials shocked the world.
The escape was "very tiring. I still do not know what I am going to do. Of course I would like to see my family," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional