Libya rebels report loss of Qatrun
Libyan rebel fighters have lost control of the southwestern oasis town of Qatrun after an attack by forces loyal to Muammar Gaddafi, a member of the local Toubou tribe said.
Benghazi: Libyan rebel fighters have lost
control of the southwestern oasis town of Qatrun after an
attack by forces loyal to Muammar Gaddafi, a member of the
local Toubou tribe told a news agency on Saturday.
Gaddafi`s troops swept in from the north on Thursday,
forcing rebel fighters from the town, according to Mohammed
Lino, who relayed information gleaned via satellite phone,
said in Benghazi.
At least two people are thought to have been killed
and eight wounded in the attack.
The lack of transport links to the southwest, patchy
telecommunications and poor security make independent
verification of the claim impossible.
But Lino said Gaddafi`s forces had been camped on the
north side of the town and rebels in the south, with an
estimated 20,000 civilians trapped between the two.
It is not clear if the town has since been taken.
Toubou tribesmen had earlier reported capturing the
town on July 17. A delegation is now in Benghazi to ask for
supplies and assistance.
Qatrun is 1,000 kilometres (620 miles) south of
Gaddafi`s forces had tried to retake the town on at
least three occasions before Thursday.
"We have been attacked twice in the past week by
Gaddafi`s army," said Mohammed Sidi, a Toubou tribal leader
said earlier this week.
One attack, he said, involved as many as 150 4X4
vehicles. In repelling the attacks, one person was killed and