Libya `shoots down 2 rebel helicopters`
Tripoli: The Libyan government has announced it has shot down two US -built attack helicopters being used by rebel forces in the east of the country.
Deputy Foreign Minister Khaled Kaim told reporters in the early hours of the morning Sunday that two Chinook helicopters being used by rebels were downed over the disputed oil city of Brega.
The report could not be confirmed with the rebels, but journalists in the area did describe seeing at least one attack helicopter apparently fighting for the rebels in the area Saturday.
Most aircraft used by the Libyans, whether government or rebel forces, are Russian made. The 2008 Directory of World Air Forces said Libya had 20 of the twin rotor helicopters.
Kaim condemned the UN for not applying the no-fly zone to rebel forces.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged