Libya `shoots down 2 rebel helicopters`
Tripoli: The Libyan government has announced it has shot down two US -built attack helicopters being used by rebel forces in the east of the country.
Deputy Foreign Minister Khaled Kaim told reporters in the early hours of the morning Sunday that two Chinook helicopters being used by rebels were downed over the disputed oil city of Brega.
The report could not be confirmed with the rebels, but journalists in the area did describe seeing at least one attack helicopter apparently fighting for the rebels in the area Saturday.
Most aircraft used by the Libyans, whether government or rebel forces, are Russian made. The 2008 Directory of World Air Forces said Libya had 20 of the twin rotor helicopters.
Kaim condemned the UN for not applying the no-fly zone to rebel forces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert