Libya `shoots down 2 rebel helicopters`
Tripoli: The Libyan government has announced it has shot down two US -built attack helicopters being used by rebel forces in the east of the country.
Deputy Foreign Minister Khaled Kaim told reporters in the early hours of the morning Sunday that two Chinook helicopters being used by rebels were downed over the disputed oil city of Brega.
The report could not be confirmed with the rebels, but journalists in the area did describe seeing at least one attack helicopter apparently fighting for the rebels in the area Saturday.
Most aircraft used by the Libyans, whether government or rebel forces, are Russian made. The 2008 Directory of World Air Forces said Libya had 20 of the twin rotor helicopters.
Kaim condemned the UN for not applying the no-fly zone to rebel forces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- Sheena Bora on Indrani Mukerjea in her diary: `I hate my mother...she is a witch`
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported