Libya to hold June election on time: Top official
Tripoli: Libya will hold its first election
for a constituent Assembly on schedule in June, the election
commission head was quoted as saying by the official news
agency on Sunday.
"The elections will be held on schedule as set by the
constitutional declaration" of the ruling National
Transitional Council, the official LANA news agency quoted
Othman al-Kajiji as saying.
Under the NTC-adopted constitutional declaration in
August, the election for a first constituent assembly are
scheduled to be held eight months after the country declared
its "liberation" from Muammar Gaddafi`s regime.
The liberation was declared on October 23, meaning the
election is to be held in the last week of June, although no
date has yet been set.
Kajiji said his newly-formed election commission was in
contact with the Libyan authorities and spoke of "fruitful
collaboration" with some departments, while hoping the effort
would be "free of bureaucracy."
The NTC in late January adopted an election law to
regulate the vote for the 200-member constituent assembly.
The election law stipulates that 120 of the 200 assembly
seats be reserved for independent candidates and the rest kept
for political parties.
Libya on Friday celebrated the first anniversary of the
launch of its revolution which ousted and toppled its longtime
leader Gaddafi after a brutal conflict.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand