Libya: UN envoy arrives in rebel stronghold for talks
Benghazi: The UN special envoy to Libya, Abdelilah al-Khatib, arrived in Benghazi on Friday to meet officials of the rebels` provisional council, rebel officials said.
"He is coming to Benghazi to see the transitional national council about the situation and the needs of the people. We hope he will see for himself the effect on east Libya," Salah Hedin, a senior member of the council`s foreign affairs committee, said.
Hedin was part of a welcoming party waiting for the envoy at an abandoned military airfield outside Benghazi. The party included a UN security detail and armed rebel militiamen.
Hedin said al-Khatib would stay in Benghazi for about four hours and that the visit was a follow-up to the London meeting. He said it was his second visit to the rebel-held region and he was in Tobruk 10 days ago.
Ali Tarhouni, a US-based academic in charge of finance and economics for the interim government, said as he headed into the meeting with al-Khatib: "He`s here for a first-hand look to assess everything -- the council, the people."
"We want the continued support of allied forces," Tarhouni said. "The main thing we need is recognition of the national council as the legitimate government and the lifting of sanctions," including on oil exports.
"We want to show we are putting our house in order and this will help with recognition," he added.
Qatar became the first Arab country to recognise Libya`s rebels on Monday. France has also recognised the rebel council as representative of Libya.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown