Libya unrest `worse than under Gaddafi`: Evacuees
Piraeus: Libya is descending into a civil war spiral that is "much worse" than the unrest that toppled its dictator Muammar Gaddafi in 2011, residents fleeing the country said Saturday.
"We have gone through (war) before, with Gaddafi, but now it`s much worse," Paraskevi Athineou, a Greek woman living in Libya, told AFP.
"Chaos reigns. There is no government, we have no food, no fuel, no water, no electricity for hours on end," she said.
Athineou was part of a group of 186 people evacuated from Tripoli by a Greek navy frigate which reached the port of Piraeus early on Saturday.
In addition to 77 Greek nationals, there were 78 Chinese, 10 Britons, 12 Cypriots, seven Belgians, one Albanian and a Russian.
Among them were several diplomats, including the Chinese ambassador to Libya.
Libya has suffered chronic insecurity since Gaddafi`s overthrow in 2011, with the new government unable to check militias that helped to remove him and facing a growing threat from Islamist groups.
"So many people died to make the country better. But now we started killing each other in a civil war," said Osama Monsour, a 35-year-old employed at a non-governmental organisation in Tripoli.
Fighting between rival militias in Tripoli has forced the closure of the city`s international airport, while Islamist groups are also battling army special forces in the eastern city of Benghazi.
"War is in the city... and we civilians are under fire from both sides," Athineou said.
"It is worse than 2011," said Ali Gariani, a Libyan married to a Greek woman.
"That time were were being bombed by NATO. But now we are being bombed by the Libyans themselves, and that is really shameful," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers