Libya unrest `worse than under Gaddafi`: Evacuees
Piraeus: Libya is descending into a civil war spiral that is "much worse" than the unrest that toppled its dictator Muammar Gaddafi in 2011, residents fleeing the country said Saturday.
"We have gone through (war) before, with Gaddafi, but now it`s much worse," Paraskevi Athineou, a Greek woman living in Libya, told AFP.
"Chaos reigns. There is no government, we have no food, no fuel, no water, no electricity for hours on end," she said.
Athineou was part of a group of 186 people evacuated from Tripoli by a Greek navy frigate which reached the port of Piraeus early on Saturday.
In addition to 77 Greek nationals, there were 78 Chinese, 10 Britons, 12 Cypriots, seven Belgians, one Albanian and a Russian.
Among them were several diplomats, including the Chinese ambassador to Libya.
Libya has suffered chronic insecurity since Gaddafi`s overthrow in 2011, with the new government unable to check militias that helped to remove him and facing a growing threat from Islamist groups.
"So many people died to make the country better. But now we started killing each other in a civil war," said Osama Monsour, a 35-year-old employed at a non-governmental organisation in Tripoli.
Fighting between rival militias in Tripoli has forced the closure of the city`s international airport, while Islamist groups are also battling army special forces in the eastern city of Benghazi.
"War is in the city... and we civilians are under fire from both sides," Athineou said.
"It is worse than 2011," said Ali Gariani, a Libyan married to a Greek woman.
"That time were were being bombed by NATO. But now we are being bombed by the Libyans themselves, and that is really shameful," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Manoj Bajpayee's 'Budhia Singh – Born to run' showcases the spirit of world's youngest marathon from Odisha – Watch
- Caught! Top model arrested in high-profile drug racket case — Know details
- Rs 40,000 crore Arunachal border road could be a liability, warns Indian Army
- Xiaomi Qicycle Electric Folding Bike: Features
- THIS Bollywood director has filed a defamation case against Kamaal R Khan! - Read more