Libya urged to give fair trial to ex-Gaddafi spy
Tripoli: The United States and human rights organisations around the world have urged Libyan authorities to give a fair trial to slain dictator Muammar Gaddafi’s former intelligence chief after he was deported by Mauritania.
The United States said Abdullah al-Senussi must be tried ‘in full compliance with Libya’s international obligations’.
“It will be critical that Libya take all necessary steps to ensure that he`s held securely, treated humanely and tried fairly in full compliance with Libya`s international obligations,” the BBC quoted acting US state department deputy spokesman Patrick Ventrell, as saying.
According to the report, Geraldine Mattioli-Zeltner of Human Rights Watch said Senussi must be treated humanely.
Senussi was arrested in May this year by Mauritanian authorities for illegally entering the country.
Senussi, a confidante and brother-in-law to Gaddafi , is alleged to be behind a massacre in Tripoli`s notorious Abu Salim prison, which left around 1,200 inmates dead, and triggered Libya`s revolt when lawyers sought to reopen the case last year.
France wants to try Senussi in connection with the 1989 bombing of an airliner over Niger in which 170 died.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?
- Met Dawood Ibrahim in London, he wanted to return to India: Ram Jethmalani