Libya wants US to hand over Benghazi attack suspect
Tripoli: The Libyan government Wednesday demanded the US hand over the `key suspect figure` of the 2012 attack on the US consulate in Benghazi.
The suspect, Ahmed Abu Khatallah, now in US custody in a secure location outside of Libya, was arrested Sunday following a joint operation carried out by American forces and the Federal Bureau of Investigation in Libya`s second largest city of Benghazi, reportedly.
Libyan Foreign Ministry Spokesman Said al-Saoud said the government condemned the US operation on Libyan territory without the government`s prior knowledge, and added that the suspect should be returned to Libya and tried in Libyan courts.
"I followed the government statements made by the US officials that their forces kidnapped Libyan citizen Ahmed Abu Khtallah. We emphasize Libya has the right to try him in accordance with our laws," al-Saoud said.
Libyan Justice Minister Saleh al-Marghani stated Wednesday that Khatallah should be returned to Libya and tried there.
Last year, the US filed charges against Khattala and at least a dozen others in connection with the attack on its consulate September 2012 in Benghazi, which killed US Ambassador to Libya Christopher Stevens and three other Americans.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town