‘Libya was exactly where Stevens wanted to be’
Washington: The mother of slain US envoy to Libya, Chris Stevens, has said he wanted to be posted in that volatile nation.
Mary Commanday’s comments came after Stevens was killed during an attack on the US Consulate in Benghazi, along with three other American officials.
“He did love what he did, and did a very good job with it. He could have done a lot of other things, but this was his passion,” the New York Daily News quoted Commanday, as saying.
Stevens had arrived in Libya four months ago as the new US ambassador.
As she prepared for a morning flight from the Bay Area to collect her son’s body in Washington, DC, Commanday said Stevens would want his work to continue.
“I sure do feel animosity toward those nuts who got in there and did this, (but) it had nothing to do with the politics of Libya. They were not insurgents, they were Islamic fanatics,” she said.
Stevens, born and raised in Northern California, joined the Peace Corps in 1983 and worked briefly as an international trade lawyer before joining the Foreign Service in 1991, the report said.
The unmarried 52-year-old, fluent in Arabic, served the delicate role of US envoy to the rebels who overthrew Muammar Gaddafi as part of the Arab Spring. He returned to Libya in May as its top US diplomat, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3