Libyan diplomat to Tanzania commits suicide
Dar es Salaam: The acting Libyan ambassador to Tanzania, Ismail Nwairat, committed suicide Tuesday afternoon, Tanzanian government announced Wednesday.
A statement issued by Tanzanian ministry of foreign affairs and international cooperation said Nwairat shot himself to death in his office, Xinhua reported.
"Information we have received from the Libyan embassy said Nwairat shot himself in the left side of his chest in the afternoon Tuesday while he was in his office," said the statement issued by the ministry`s spokesperson Mkumbwa Ally.
The statement said on hearing the gun shot, officers at the embassy broke the door of the diplomat`s office and found him lying in a pool of blood.
"They rushed the diplomat to AMI Hospital in Oysterbay where he was pronounced dead," the statement said, adding that police have confirmed the death.
The statement said that the Libyan embassy was making arrangements to ferry the body of Nwairat to Libya for burial.
Suleiman Kova, the regional police commander for the Dar es Salaam special zone, confirmed the death of the diplomat, saying police have started investigating the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Watch: Sonakshi Sinha, Remo D'souza's 'Beat Pe Booty' will make you want to hit dance floor too
- Watch: ISIS-style kidnapping of BJP leader's son by ULFA militants in Assam
- Apple boosts health while Microsoft revs machine smarts
- Pfizer boosts cancer drug roster with $14 billion Medivation deal
- OP Jaisha's ordeal: Marathon runner demands enquiry after AFI says she refused to avail energy drinks